Online Privacy. Facebook, or MeWe? What’s App, or Telegram? Privacy or Accountability?

 What a week in political commentary and rhetoric we've seen. Sometimes it's important to take a step back and remember what we actually believe, because the rhetoric on so many sides can get so strong.

Going hand-in-hand with this topic is the explosion of online privacy and free speech rights. Great American values include the focus on individual rights such as privacy and free speech. In the wake of so much political turmoil, this debate has been brought to the surface as Pres. Trump has been permanently banned from Twitter and indefinitely so from Facebook. Parler may never again see the light of day. 

What perspective should we have on these things? Like my previous post said, we tend to see these things through the rhetoric of political polarization since we are over inundated with media, and over reliant on it. We sometimes come away thinking that the two sides we see characterized on media are the  only two options for a point of view. This post pledges to be fearlessly honest in assessment and to contest the idea that the two sides portrayed in the media are the only two ways to see this issue. I'll begin with 1) Quick definition of "the two sides," and 2) A series of thoughts and questions for both.

1) What tend to be the two sides portrayed in media, what I'll call "polarization rhetoric?" On one side is regulation and on the other side is freedom. One side believes that freedom is too dangerous and regulation is essential to protect us. The other side believes that regulation is only a step towards totalitarianism and a doctrine of total conformity. The freedom side falls prey to the dangers of extreme individualism, limited accountability, and the regulation side falls prey to the dangers of muzzling discourse that is essential in the search for truth.

I will admit up front that I'm greatly oversimplifying this, and my above assessment doesn't go as deep as I'd like. These thoughts are in process and only service to begin the conversation that I hope you'll join me in. 

2) So, the series of questions for both sides:

· Is our allegiance to our American values, or Scripture? 

Christians are fond of saying that American values are based on Scripture (Christian nationalism), but I would say that at best, this is only partly true. For example, Paul says this in 1 Cor. 10:23: "I have the right to do anything," you say - but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything" - but not everything is constructive." In a nation where we tout our rights, Paul says to the follower of Jesus that while we may have certain rights resulting from the freedom that Jesus gives us, at times love constrains us from practicing certain rights in order to benefit others.

 

· Closely related to the last point, is American individualism the gauge by which followers of Jesus are called to live?

 

· What about the biblical categories of community? Are we accountable to community ever?

 

· Do we stick up for our privacy rights at the risk of individual isolation that isn't healthy?

 

· What about the function of community and accountability in the Bible?

 

·  When moderation and accountability of free speech comes into play, who is the moderator, and frankly who makes them the judge of what everyone else can, or can't say?

 

·     Even though free speech is important, and certain platforms that promote it may be important for challenging the status quo, should followers of Jesus desire online privacy in every case? Do we have something to hide?

 

·  Is online privacy fostering healthy free speech that gets people closer to truth, or is it a dark, unaccountable corner where people can say and put forth whatever lies they want?

 

· Is privacy a Christian virtue?

 I'll stop with the questions, as this is more than enough. Take your pick, what do you think?

Final thing: I've decided to try out MeWe, Telegram and Signal apps. There is strong rhetoric for what our rights concerning online privacy should be, and much of the rhetoric around privacy is appealing. If any of you would like to connect on MeWe, Telegram and Signal, look me up. I'm trying them out, but I'm not interested in being a poster boy for them. And to be clear, I'm not a poster boy for the right either. I joined these apps in curiosity about the privacy movement, not because I'm interested in getting into a dark corner of the internet that serves only as a far-right echo chamber. I've seen a lot of diverse people on MeWe. I'd love to do a future post on 1) Why I'm not Republican, and 2) Why I'm not Democrat. I would like to critically assess right and leftist rhetoric from as neutral a perspective as possible with my only agenda being the Bible, and faithful living in light of faith in Jesus and Holy Spirit's leadership. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Foundation of Investing

Contending Prayer

Word on the Journey 2.1